Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Where to Begin?!

Hello! I can hardly believe it's been so long since my last post. As the school year came to a close, I found myself with multiplying to do lists, and editing photos and writing photos fell to the bottom of that list.

So...where to begin?
 
I can honestly say that this year has been filled with so many challenges, yet even more blessings. It's hard to put into words how much I grew professionally, spiritually and relationally. The challenges led me to trust in God and His plans, even when I could not always see or understand His purpose.

I know my struggles often come back to control - plans, reactions, events, circumstances, and, my own path. However, I could feel that God was trying to rid me of that burden, as it never really belonged to me to begin with. Though enormously difficult to do, especially at first, I felt more free with each baby step. I walked by faith and not by sight, and I felt more peace and perspective than I had in a long time.

Once I stopped waiting and longing for things on my time, my little family was overwhelmingly blessed. A year ago, John made an admirable and brave decision to leave dental school. He knew in his heart that a career in dentistry wouldn't fulfill him, and he decided to pursue a career he was passionate about. His perseverance and faith during that time is indescribable. Even when I struggled, he would remind me that he hadn't given up hope. And his faith was rewarded when in one week he was offered not one, but two positions in his field of choice - finance.

As we celebrated his accomplishments and diligence, I learned I was selected as an Education Policy and Advocacy Fellow through Leadership for Educational Equity. I was thrilled by this opportunity, but nervous as it meant I would spend the summer in Chicago without my little family. John's unwavering support and encouragement led me to accept the summer fellowship and venture back to the Windy City.

I had faith that my living arrangements would work out - as hard as it was for me to not return to worrying or fretting. God provided - again! - and an amazing opportunity from a generous friend brought me to one of the best addresses in Chicago.

I miss John and Hoosh terribly, but I was fortunate enough to see them both the last two nights, as John was in Chicago for some business meetings. I'll be able to see them every weekend until the end of my fellowship, and I know we will get through this short time apart. If we managed to date long-distance for two years, we can make it two months. When we have a lifetime together, eight weeks is but a blink.

I'm in my second week of the fellowship, and I am loving my work. I can't go into details just yet, but I can say that it combines my passion for education and my background in communications. I hope to share more as the summer progresses, but I have lots of other posts to catch up on before then - weddings, bachelorette parties, recipes, gift ideas and more!

Stay tuned, and, if you made it through this wordy post, thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. So many things to be happy about :) Congratulations on your summer opportunity. It sounds wonderful. Also congrats to John on his new career path. As someone who has changed careers at least 4 times, I can definitely understand the frustration from not feeling fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! It's a wonderful time for us, and I can't wait to see what the future holds. I hope you've found a fulfilling career, too!

      Delete
  2. I am praying for you as you are in Chicago!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! I hope you are enjoying your summer!

      Delete
    2. I am! I LOVED my last day at school and working with your kids. I love them so much and loved having more time at The Oaks.

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad! I know the kids and I were delighted you could spend some extra time with us!

      Delete
  3. LOVE the life update! I'm so proud of you for the fellowship. It sounds like wonderful work for you! Congratulations! I know it's hard to be away from John and Hoosh, but your positive attitude (and knowing that it's short term) will go far!

    Let's catch up soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!! I'm loving all YOUR life updates and house projects! We definitely need to catch up soon. I will try calling you on one of my trips to/from Chicago so we have time. Miss you!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...