Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Easy Salmon Cakes



As the title suggests, this recipe is easy. And delicious. And light on calories. How much more can you really ask for in a meal? Well, I'm sure a lot, but trust me on this one.

I found this recipe on Eating Well. Hmm...starting to realize it's been awhile since I've used my cookbooks. Eh, I'll save that for next week. No point in changing my entire meal plan for the week this late in the game. Plus, after I sent the hubby to the store for me, and it took him 2 hours and several manager checks to find everything, I think I've used all my grace for the week.

So, about these salmon cakes...YUM! I changed the recipe, shocker, because I misread it for one, made too much salmon and ran out of bread crumbs. To be honest I was grateful I ran out of bread crumbs because I think the salmon would have been too dry with so much. I even think it doesn't need as long in the oven if you already cooked the salmon, for fear of it getting dry.

Regardless of whether or not you choose to use my recipe or the original, I'm sure you'll find these delicious! Oh, but you must make them with the Creamy Dill Sauce!

Ingredients:
*3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
*1 small onion, finely chopped
*1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
*1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
*1 stalk celery, finely diced
*3 cups cooked salmon (what I used) or 15 ounces canned salmon, drained
*3 large eggs, lightly beaten
*3 tbsps Dijon mustard
*1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (I used Panko)
*1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
*Creamy Dill Sauce
*1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation:
 *Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

*Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and celery. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

*Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard and mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper, mixing well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.

*Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.

*Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.



Salmon plus dijon and egg


Out of the oven!

Perfect size salmon cakes

You must make the creamy dill sauce to go with these!! It is a perfect balance of taste!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...