Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lightened-Up Blue Cheese Dressing


I don't think it's any secret here that I love cheese. I only talk about it in, oh, every other post. Does that sound about right? To be honest, I'm too scared to check for myself because then I may need to be checked into a cheese rehab facility. My name is Lauren. I am addicted to cheese.

Growing up I hated blue cheese - the smell, how it looked...I wouldn't even taste it. I never understood why my parents ordered it for salads. Gross. Then I grew up and suddenly developed a love affair with cheese, especially blue cheese. Somehow I've found it to be perfect for dipping veggies, dressing salads (like this super yummy Chopped Chicken Salad).

I decided I wanted to make my own blue cheese dressing, so I searched for some recipes. And my findings made me suddenly not like blue cheese dressing so much anymore. A whole cup of heavy cream?! Plus a whole cup of regular mayo?! Yikes!

So I did one of my favorite things to do: lightened it up! And guess what? It turned out great! John and I both agreed that you still got the creamy, tangy flavor of regular blue cheese dressing, but without all the guilt. A great way to indulge - and sneak in some protein!

Lightened-Up Blue Cheese Dressing
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa
Yields about 3/4 cup dressing
Pin It
Ingredients:
*1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
*2 tbsp light mayo
*1/4 cup half and half
*2 tbsp skim milk
*3 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
*1/4 tsp Herbs Provence (optional - I used this because I didn't have tarragon vinegar...or tarragon)

Preparation:
*Combine yogurt, mayo, half and half and skim milk. I suggest using a whisk.

*Add crumbled Roquefort cheese and herbs. I suggest using a fork because the cheese will likely clump and get stuck in the whisk.

*Serve over/on the side of salads, veggies, wings, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...