Thursday, July 26, 2012

Loaded Turkey Santa Fe Baked Potato Skins


I didn't have the highest expectations for this dish. I was excited to try something new, but honestly I thought this might be a bit bland. Thanks to a few key spices and veggies, this was a phenomenal meal. John has told me every day since I made these how good they were. Who doesn't appreciate that?

I made this with only 4 potatoes, but I kept the recipe the same. I had some leftover turkey filling, and we've used it by itself and in wraps. I definitely plan to make more of this for lunches during the school year. It's a great way to get in veggies and protein while keeping things light.

One last suggestion? Use nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. John always claims he can tell a difference, so this time I acted like it was sour cream. Guess what? He didn't figure out it was Greek yogurt until he finished his meal and I told him. Sneaky substitutions for the win. ;)

Loaded Turkey Santa Fe Baked Potato Skins
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
Serves 3-7, depending on portions



Ingredients:
*7 medium russet potatoes, washed and dried
*1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
*1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
*1/2 cup frozen corn
*1/2 tsp chili powder
*1 large diced tomato
*1 cloves garlic, minced
*2 tbsp chopped onion
*1 tsp cumin
*salt and pepper to taste
*14 tbsp reduced fat shredded cheese (I used Sargento Sharp Cheddar)
*nonstick cooking spray
*1/4 cup chopped scallions 
 Vegetarians can enjoy this by removing turkey and adding additional black beans & corn!

Preparation:
*Pierce potato with a fork a few times all around. Place in microwave and cook on high about 5 minutes per potato. When finished, allow to cool enough to handle.

*Heat oven to 450°. Cut potatoes in half horizontally. Scoop out potatoes (I took Gina's advice and saved the extra I scooped out for mashed potatoes!) leaving about 1/4 inch thick wall.

*In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, corn, chili powder, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes. 

* While turkey mixture is cooking, finish preparing potatoes. Lightly spray potato skins on both sides with oil and place a foil lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake skins for 10 minutes.

*Remove from the oven, add 1/4 cup meat filling into each potato skin, top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese and bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

*Top with Greek yogurt and scallions. 

Turkey mixture...smelling delicious at this point

potatoes ready for the oven

stuffed...time for cheese

Dinner is served :)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks great!

    Oh, and I adore the story about sneaky substitutions! Those are the best! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...