Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tomato Artichoke Soup


Thank you pinterest! I ordered some of Patachou's Tomato Artichoke soup a few weeks ago, but I let the hubby finish it because I wasn't feeling too well. Fast forward to 4 hours later and all I could think of was having some of this soup. A quick pinterest search came up with this recipe, courtesy of A Couple Cooks.

Now, I'm sure it wasn't actually as good as Patachou's (how could it be?), but John swears it was! (Sweet hubby = lucky girl, I know!) I absolutely loved this soup. It was the perfect blend of creamy and tangy. Top it with grilled cheese croutons, and, oh my. I definitely ate way, way too much of it! Eh, oh well. It was totally worth it. :)

Tomato Artichoke Soup
Recipe by A Couple Cooks
Serves 4-6, depending on portions 
Pin It  
Ingredients:
*28 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used two 14oz cans)
*15 oz can artichokes, rinsed and drained
*1 cup water (I decided to use low-sodium vegetable broth instead)
*1 cup milk (we were out, again, so I used part heavy cream part water)
*2 tablespoons butter
*1 large onion
*1 clove garlic
*3 bay leaves 

*1/2 teaspoon oregano
*1 teaspoon basil 


Preparation:
*Chop 1 large onion and 1 clove garlic

*In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter.  Sauté the onions, garlic, and 3 bay leaves until the onions are translucent.


*Chop the artichokes into smaller pieces. In the soup pot, add the artichokes, tomatoes, water (or broth), oregano and basil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add a little brown sugar if it tastes too bitter (mine did so I added 1-2 tablespoons).

*Using a blender, blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Add milk (or cream and water mixture). Top with a little parmesan and serve immediately. Maybe with some grilled cheese sandwiches. :)

onions, bay leaves, butter and garlic cooking

the broth and tomatoes I used

simmering for 10 minutes
hello soup!


Plus grilled cheese croutons :)
tomato artichoke soup plus parmesan-crusted zucchini sticks
 

2 comments:

  1. this looks like a great soup! do you think it would be good if I left the artichokes whole? I will also have to try making those zucchini sticks again for soup dunkers! and the croutons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could definitely leave the artichokes whole. Totally about your texture preference. And the zucchini sticks were perfect dunkers! So glad you posted the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...