Sunday, February 13, 2011

Savory Salmon

I may have gone a little overboard on the garnish because you can barely see the salmon. I assure you it was well cooked and delicious!


This is another recipe from The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook, written by Paula Dean.  After becoming more comfortable with my cooking skills, having fairly mastered chicken and ground beef dishes, I decided to try cooking salmon for the first time. This seemed like a simple enough recipe for me to try.  John and I really enjoyed the flavors from this recipe. It is a bit sweeter, so if you prefer salty fish dishes it might not be your favorite. We both thought the recipe would be excellent by substituting grilled chicken for the salmon (though you'd have to grill the chicken prior to the oven steps). Steaming the salmon makes it healthier, and we felt it was a very light yet filling meal. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
*1 2-pound salmon fillet (we chose Atlantic salmon)
*seasoning of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
*juice of 2 lemons
*1 medium orange, sliced thin
*1 small red bell pepper, julienned
*1 small green bell pepper, julienned
*1 pint strawberries, cleaned and sliced
*1/2 cup water
*1/2 cup honey
*1/2 cup chopped fresh chervil or baby dill (John and I forgot this at the grocery store so we substituted dry parsley, about 8 tablespoons)
*4 cloves garlic, minced
*1 bunch chives, chopped

Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

*Place salmon fillet on a foil-lined pan. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Cover and surround fish with orange, onion, and red and green bell pepper.

*Mix strawberries, water, honey, chervil or dill (or dried parsley), garlic and chives together. Pour evenly over salmon. Cover with foil and pierce foil, allowing salmon to steam.

*Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

May I suggest serving salmon and garnish over rice (we used instant white rice though varieties would be great as well).

I may have gone a little overboard on the garnish because you can barely see the salmon. I assure you it was well cooked and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...