Thursday, April 4, 2013

Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Wasabi Vinaigrette


I feel like a blogging machine this week! I've been so excited about all the tasty new recipes that I've tried - and sunlight past 6pm! I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel - or day! - and could not be happier. Hopefully this will continue and you'll see more frequent posts heading your way.

This salad was fantastic. I mean, really, really good. I adapted this recipe from Rachael Ray and absolutely loved the flavor combination. John told me right away that I needed to "add it to the rotation" and not to let him forget about it. Sometimes I go through phases where I make tons of new recipes that we love, and then we completely forget about them. I guess I should peruse my own previous posts more often, huh? :)

Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Wasabi Vinaigrette
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray
Serves 2-4, depending on portions (we used 1/2 tuna steak each to lighten it up) 



Note: There are a few non-standard ingredients in here, but they can be purchased at your grocery store (Marsh, for me) and found in the International food aisle. The wasabi paste was about $2.50 and the 5-spice about $3. I found rice vinegar for about $2 at Trader Joe's. If you don't want to purchase all those ingredients because you're afraid you won't use them again, I would highly encourage you to get the wasabi paste and rice vinegar. The dressing is unreal and so worth it!

Ingredients:

Tuna:
*2 ahi tuna steaks, about 6 ounces each
*4 teaspoons five-spice powder (I found this in the International section at the grocery store)
*2 teaspoons grill seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning, or salt and coarse pepper
*4 teaspoons sesame seeds
*cooking spray or vegetable oil, for brushing the grill pan

Salad:
*bag mixed greens
*bunch of asparagus spears (I used about 10), cut into thirds
*1/2 red onion, sliced
*edamame (as many, shelled, as you'd like on your salad!)

Dressing:
*1 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste (found this in the International section at the grocery store)
*2 tablespoons rice vinegar
*2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
*6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation: 
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss asparagus, 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper in a pan. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.

*When asparagus has about 5 minutes to go, heat a grill pan or sear pan on high. Spray grill/pan surface with cooking spray. Then, season tuna steaks with sesame seeds, Montreal seasoning and five-spice powder.

*Add tuna steak to the hot cooking surface and sear tuna 2 minutes on each side. Remove tuna from heat. Slice or cut into chunks, depending on your preferences.

*Combine greens, roasted asparagus, red onion and edamame on salad bowls or plates.

*In a smaller bowl, whisk wasabi, vinegar and soy sauce. Whisk in oil to combine dressing.

*Top salad with tuna and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy immediately!

tuna rub ingredients | searing away
Slices instead of chunks
Chunks instead of slices

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...