Sunday, April 7, 2013

{Slow-Cooker} Bolognese Sauce



I have loved bolgonese sauce since I was little. I ordered it whenever we ate at California Pizza Kitchen, so it's surprising this is the first time I've attempted it myself. It was worth the wait, though, as this recipe was so, so good! I made some modifications, including omitting half and half and pancetta, as well as swapping ground turkey for ground beef. John and I both loved this, so I can't say it was missed - and it lightened it up. Enjoy!

Crock Pot Bolognese Sauce
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste, via Jourdan Leigh in the kitchen
Serves 4-6, depending on portions


Ingredients:

*1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
*1 large sweet onion, minced
*2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), minced
*2 carrots (about 3/4 cup), minced
*2 lb lean ground turkey
*1/4 cup white wine
*2 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I only had diced)
*3 bay leaves
*salt and fresh pepper
*1 tbsp tomato paste
*1 tsp brown sugar
*pasta of choice (I used whole wheat spiral noodles)


Preparation:
Note: I would suggest chopping your veggies the night before, so that in the morning you have a much shorter prep time.

*In a large deep saute pan, add butter, onions, celery and carrots and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.

*Add meat, season with salt and pepper and sauté over medium-high heat until browned. Drain the fat, then add wine and cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.

*Add to slow-cooker (crock pot). Add tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and set  to LOW 6 hours.

*After the 6 hours, adjust salt and pepper to taste, add tomato paste and brown sugar. Stir and cover for another 5 minutes or so (or while your pasta is cooking). Serve over your favorite pasta with Parmesan cheese on top. 


 veggies

delicious and easy finished product


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...