Friday, May 3, 2013

Southwestern Steak Salad



I have a fantastic and fast recipe to share with you today. As a former salad-hater, I understand the "meh" feeling that can come from seeing a recipe for rabbit food (or, "cow food", to my dear husband!). However, I learned that the key is to include lots of colorful ingredients and whip up an easy, homemade dressing. I promise, it makes all the difference!

The dressing on this salad is unbelievable and was so surprising. It is a bit spicy, but you can turn down the heat by reducing or omitting the canned chipotle chiles. I have terrible heartburn, but this salad was so good I couldn't help but dig in. This would be great for a relaxing night at home or for entertaining a group. Enjoy!

Southwestern Steak Salad
serves 2-4

Ingredients:
*1 pound skirt steak (1/2 inch thick), trimmed (I used flank steak)
*Coarse salt and ground pepper
*your choice of lettuce or mixed greens
*1 avocado; halved, pitted, peeled and diced
*1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced finely
*6 small tomatoes, cut into wedges (I used grape tomatoes, halved)
*1 small red onion, thinly sliced
*1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
*3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
*2 teaspoons honey
*1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation:
*Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper.

*Cook steak 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare (or until done to your likeness). Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice.

*Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes and onion.

*In a small bowl, combine chile, lime juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Gradually whisk in oil and any accumulated juices from steak.

*Top salad with steak and drizzle with dressing.

Angle #1
Angle #2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...