Monday, April 4, 2011

Golden Vanilla Butter Cake



I am excited to say that this is one of my recipes, and probably one of my best experiments. I've gotten so many compliments on this cake - it smells delicious, it's so moist, it tastes amazing...the best compliment I got was from my good friend Ally's boyfriend Wes, who asked if it was our wedding cake the first time he tasted it! (Our wedding cake was fantastic!! Heavenly Sweets in Noblesville!) Did I mention this is John's favorite cake?

However, I can't take full credit for this recipe. I combined and mixed a recipe from John's wonderful mother Leslie and his grandmother Mimi. I've done a lot of experimenting with this recipe to make it a bit healthier. I'm not a nutritionist so I'm not on a soapbox touting the nutritional value. But, for a cake, this is definitely healthier than many. I'd love to hear what you think! :)

Golden Vanilla Butter Cake
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Yields 1 cake 

Ingredients:
*1 package sugar-free vanilla instant pudding (plus 2 cups skim milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla)
*1 box butter golden cake
*4 eggs
*14 cup vegetable oil
*1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (you can skip applesauce and use total 3/4 cup vegetable oil)
*1 tsp. vanilla
*1/4 cup sugar
*1/4 cup splenda (you can skip splenda and use total 1/2 cup sugar)


Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

*Mix instant pudding dry mix with milk and vanilla. Use a whisk or an electric mixer with an attached whisk (my preferred method). Whisk for about 2 minutes and place in refrigerator for at least 5 minutes to chill and thicken.

*Combine cake mix, oil, applesauce, splenda and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer.

*Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Spend extra time beating the mixture after you add the last egg, starting on low speed moving to medium speed. The more you mix it the fluffier it will get. (Don't go overboard or it will be more like meringue!)

*Add 1 cup of the pudding chilling in the refrigerator and the vanilla. Beat well.

*Pour batter into a well greased pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. (I usually go for 50 minutes so it stays moist).

*When cake is done let it set and cool before removing it from the pan. Cover with frosting, or for something lighter, sprinkle with powdered sugar. :)

Mixing in the last bit - pudding and vanilla.

Batter is ready for the oven!

I used a bundt pan, as I do for most cakes. John just loves the shape!

Right out of the oven


Side view

From the top

Iced and ready to go to my friends' Lindsey and Swade's birthday party! :)

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is SO yummy!!! I highly recommend trying it out! Thank you sooo much for making Swade and I a beautiful and delicious Birthday Cake!! You are a great cook and amazing friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...