Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pasta with Veggies in White Wine & Lemon Sauce

Often it comes time for me to make dinner and I have no idea what I'm going to make. Usually I look around at what I have and try to throw something together that will actually make a decent meal. That was the case for this dinner. I had some whole wheat pasta, lemon, white wine, butter and some veggies I was afraid would go bad if I didn't use them quickly. This turned out to be a pretty great meal. It was filling yet light, which I think make some of the best meals. It was great as lunch the next day too. Let me know what you think! :)

Ingredients:
*whole wheat pasta (or regular if you prefer)
*zucchini, diced
*yellow squash, diced
*bell peppers, sliced thinly - aka jullianed (I used yellow, green and red; one of each)
*onion, chopped
*1/4 cup white wine
*2 tablespoons butter, or 2 tablespoons olive oil
*juice of 1/2 lemon
*salt and pepper

Preparation:

*In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt - a few good shakes - and a couple drizzles of olive oil before you add pasta. (The oil will prevent the pasta from sticking together). Cook until al dente.

*Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add vegetables - zuchinni, squash, bell peppers, and onion.  Season with salt and pepper. 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper is usually a good starting point. Add more as your taste prefers. Cook until vegetables are softened, or until they've reached your desired texture.

*When vegetables are about fully cooked, add white wine, lemon juice and butter (or olive oil for a lighter sauce) to vegetable mixture. The wine will help deglaze the pan - making it easier to clean, score! - and will add nice flavor. Cook until reduced by about half or until taste reaches your preference. (Note: If you cook it too long you will end up with a heavy lemon sauce.)


*When the vegetables and sauce are mixed well, combine with drained pasta. Serve hot over a large plate.

*Might I recommend serving with my ricotta cheese spread and toasted bread? A delicious and light meal!


My veggies cooking up!


Another view of the dish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...