Thursday, April 28, 2011

Salmon with Creamy Dijon Sauce


*Note: this is going to be my new "go-to" creamy sauce for fish, chicken, veggies, whatever. YUM!*

I love to eat fish, and not just because I know it is so much better for me health-wise (lower calories, more vitamins and nutrients and all that jazz).  However, in case you hadn't noticed, I haven't cooked a lot of it. Why? Because fresh fish is SO expensive! Well, I talked to my friend Jourdan (remember I'm stalking her blog this week), and she uses frozen fish all the time and says it taste great! Given how much cheaper frozen fish is (about $12 for 7 frozen filets) I was so excited to hear that it is an equivalent to fresh fish.

This dish looked light and just, yummy! It was also pretty easy to make. I put the frozen filets (which came individually wrapped, nice!) in the fridge a day before I was going to cook them so they could de-thaw.

To go with this great dish I made some great rice I always keep in the pantry (Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice) and reheated some green beans from last night. All in all it was quite satisfying and so easy after a long day at work. What do you think?

Ingredients:
*2 salmon filets (though you can make up to 4 with this recipe)
*1 tablespoon butter
*1/4 teaspoon onion salt (didn't have it so I used minced onion)
*1/4 teaspoon marjoram (didn't have this either so I used oregano, its cousin)
*1/4 teaspoon thyme
*1/2 cup sour cream (I used NF Greek yogurt)
*1 tablespoon flour
*1 tablespoon dijon mustard
*1/8 teaspoon salt
*1/8 teaspoon pepper
*1/8 teaspoon thyme
*1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock or broth

Note: To be honest I didn't use any of the measured spices. I just sprinkled whatever looked right and went with my gut. Do what you think looks good!

Preparation:

*Thaw salmon if frozen. Baste thawed fish with butter, onion salt, marjoram (or oregano), and 1/4 teaspoon thyme.

*Broil in oven for 8-12 minutes until flakes easily with a fork. (Note: My oven requires you preset a temperature for broiling, and I did mine on 500 degrees, which is typical for broiling on "high" if that is how your oven does it.)

*Heat sour cream, flour, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme, and chicken stock in small sauce pan over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Then heat for one more minute.

*Serve sauce over fish. Place extra sauce in a serving dish to pour over veggies and rice (John LOVED it!! He went for seconds on the rice and poured the sauce right over it because it was so good!) :)

Salmon in the oven - forgot to take a picture before I put it in!

Salmon minus the decadently light - and simple! - sauce

Awesome dinner. Filling yet light and healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...