Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ground Turkey Tacos with Queso and Toppings


Taco night is a huge hit in our little two-person household. I've been trying to keep our food healthier when I can - sometimes you just have to indulge - and lean ground beef was one way I did it. The only problem I encountered was the cost of lean ground beef versus the regular ground beef. Wanting us to be physically healthy was important, but so was our pocketbook. One day while I was having this internal struggle I glanced at the ground turkey and noticed it was WAY less than both types of ground beef. Not only was it cheaper, it is also much lower in fat and calories. Bonus! I decided to make ground turkey tacos that night, and we haven't looked back since.

I've included my own version of queso dip - one of John's favorites. I've found this much cheaper than the jar, and I like that I experimented and came up with something that works.

Ingredients:
*ground turkey
*taco seasoning mix (I like Ortega's version)
*shredded cheddar cheese
*lettuce
*tomatoes (grape tomatoes are awesome for tacos because they're not too seedy and are easy to slice into small pieces)
*guacamole (see my earlier recipe!)
*Queso: 1 can Campbell's Nacho Fiesta soup, plus 1/3 to 1/2 can milk
*tortillas

Preparation:
*Cook the ground turkey on a skillet until browned. Juices will be released but because it is so lean you will not have the fat that requires draining. Bonus points for not requiring that extra step!

*Combine ground turkey and seasoning according to package directions.

*Chop lettuce into desired size for filling. Slice grape tomatoes into fourths, or according to your preference.

*For the queso, pour soup into a small pot. Fill the soup can 1/3-1/2 full of milk, more or less depending on how thick you'd like it. *For extra thick queso: 1/4 milk, 1/4 heavy cream. Heat on medium-low heat (too hot and the milk will burn), stirring occasionally. When you're almost ready to serve, add shredded cheddar cheese to the pot and stir until it melts. This will thicken it up and add extra creaminess.

*Heat tortillas and serve hot with your ground turkey and fixings! :)

1 comment:

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...