Thursday, March 3, 2011

Upside Down Mixed Berry Crostada



As you've probably noticed, desserts haven't been my primary focus on my journey learning to cook. Well, that changed when I watched an episode of "Everyday Italian" with Giada. I saw her prepare a dessert that seemed relatively easy and had the ability to be modified for a healthier twist. I found the original version to be quite tart - I mean very tart! So, I have included my suggestions for a sweeter, less tangy dessert. If you prefer desserts with a twist, you might enjoy the original, which I've included. As always my changes and thoughts are in parentheses.

Ingredients:

Dough/crust:
*1 1/2 cups flour
*2 tablespoons sugar (or, in my case, splenda!)
*1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
*1 lemon
*10 tablespoons unsalted chilled butter, cubed
*3 tablespoons cold (iced!) water
*2 packages frozen mixed berries (I used 1 mixed berries and 1 strawberries because I love strawberries!)
*2 tablespoons sugar (or splenda!)
*1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch

Preparation:

Dough/Crust:
*Place flour in food processor (blender or mixer would probably work fine) with 2 tablespoons sugar (splenda). Add zest of 1 whole lemon (less if you don't like a lemon flavor to your desserts). Add 1/4 teaspoons salt. Pulse mixture.

*Add 10 tablespoons chilled butter (remember, cut into cubes). Pulse until course. Add 3 tablespoons cold water. Pulse again.

*Flour a cutting board and roll dough into into a ball (the extra flour is important to solidify it). Wrap in plastic and chill in fridge for 1 hour.

Filling:
*Combine thawed, (previously) frozen mixed berries with 2 tablespoons sugar (or splenda - - three tablespoons for sweeter, less tart filling). Squeeze juice from lemon you zested (half the lemon for a sweeter filling) into mix. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch. Mix well (I used a spatula).


To complete:
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

*Flour board (again) and rolling pin. Roll dough for crust into a 14-inch circle (or whatever will cover/fit your baking dish).

*Pour filling into a baking dish and cover with the dough. Tuck edges of dough inside (if larger than baking dish). Bake for 40 minutes. Enjoy!
My dough out of the food processor (mini one for less than $50 at Bed, Bath and Beyond). Not what I expected, but after rolling it in the flour...

...hello perfectly round dough!

After rolling the dough out

Filling in my one-and-only casserole/baking dish. (Note to self: invest in a couple more dishes in varying sizes)

Completed crostada before going in the oven.

Fresh out of the oven...looks yummy!

Hot, tasty, not-too-unhealthy dish. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...