Saturday, May 14, 2011

Low-Fat Spinach & Artichoke Dip



I was in charge of bringing an appetizer to my good friend Megan's bachelorette party. Well, I decided I wanted to make something, but I knew the bride-to-be and other figure-conscious ladies might not want a heavy, cheesy dip with all the weddings coming up. So, I decided to experiment and come up with my own, low-fat version of the classic dip. The result turned out to be a big hit, as the whole dip was gone before we got on the limo for our night of fun! I'd love to hear what you think. :)

Ingredients:

Dip:
*1 can quartered artichokes
*1/2 package frozen spinach (original package was 16 oz.; fresh would work great too), thawed
*1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
*1/2 cup miracle whip (or low-fat/fat-free mayo)
*2/3 cup shredded or grated skim mozzarella cheese
*2/3 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
*1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
*salt and pepper to taste

Bread Crumb Topping:
*1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
*1 1/2 teaspoons freshly chopped oregano
*2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 

Preparation:

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

*Put drained artichokes in a food processor until chopped well. Do the same with the spinach.

*In a bowl combine sour cream, miracle whip, cheeses, spinach, artichokes, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix well to ensure ingredients are dispersed evenly.

*Butter a pan (I used a foil one that was easy for transporting, but baking dish would work fine) and pour mixture into it, spreading evenly.

*In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, oregano and extra virgin olive oil. Mix well. Place bread crumb mixture over the dip, spreading evenly.

*Bake at 400 degrees for 40-55 minutes, depending on the power of your oven and the type of dish you use. You'll want the top to be browned and the dip to be creamy, with the cheese melted.

*Serve with crackers and tortilla chips.
Artichokes chopped in my mini food processor!

Dip ready for the bread crumb topping

The bread crumb topping
Fresh out of the oven

A little shot of the inside of the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...