Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pops' Favorite Tuna Casserole



I have absolutely loved this tuna casserole recipe for as long as I can remember. I used to think it was super special, and I loved nights when we had it as a family. Well, this special dish is literally one of the easiest things I've ever made. And it has an even sweeter story behind it.

When my Grandma Pat (aka G-Pat, as I've taken to calling her over the past year) first married my grandpa, Pops, she wanted to make his favorite recipe (tuna casserole). Well, she tried so many recipes in the process, all from fancy magazines and gourmet chefs. None of the recipes were ever just right, as Pops told her. She finally called my grandma, Nana, and asked for the amazing recipe she made Pops forever. She was shocked when she found out how simple it was, especially after trying all those gourmet recipes! However, the simplest made for his favorite, and now I'm sharing this recipe with you. :)

Ingredients:
*3 cans chunk tuna (9 oz. each, packed in water)
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*1 can of peas (I use frozen peas but used the soup can to measure how much peas)
*a few handfuls light potato chips (I used Lays Light Original - half the calories of regular!)
*a few sprinkles shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

*Combine tuna (drained), soup and peas (cooked in microwave if frozen) in a small baking dish (I used a small loaf pan).

*Crumble handfuls of chips in your hands and sprinkle over tuna, soup and pea mixture until top is covered.

*Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of chips.

*Place in oven and cook for about 30 minutes, or until soup is bubbly and surface is golden brown.

Tuna, peas and soup mixture

Crumbled chips on top of tuna mixture

Followed by some cheese - add more or less as you'd like

Love the texture - smooth tuna with peas, crunchy chips with golden cheese. Awesomely for a quick meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...