Saturday, May 14, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza



This is another recipe I am especially proud of and excited to share. Why, you may ask? Because it is my own recipe! I randomly had a craving for BBQ chicken pizza the other night, and I have not been able to get it off my mind since. When I googled "Barbeque chicken pizza recipes" I was bombarded with hits. After looking at a few recipes I decided I could figure out how to make it on my own, much like my lasagna recipe.

This pizza was awesome!! John absolutely loved it! He told me it was the "best. barbeque. chicken. pizza. EVER!" And I was thrilled to hear it. For the Indy people out there, you'll appreciate this next comment, "It was even better than Bazbeaux!" For you non-Indy people, Bazbeaux has the best pizza in the city! - And is the home of our first official date. :)

As always, I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm especially curious because I came up with this recipe on my own. Tell me your thoughts, good or bad! And, hopefully, enjoy!

BBQ Chicken Pizza
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Yields 1 pizza; Serves 2-4, depending on portions
Pin It

Ingredients:
*1 can/bag premade pizza dough (found by biscuits @ store or by cheese @ Trader Joe's; homemade is great too!)
*2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*low-sodium nonfat chicken broth + Montreal steak seasoning (optional)
*1/2 cup + 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (highly recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ)
*1/2 red onion, sliced
*1 carrot, peeled and grated
*1 cup skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
*5 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
*sprinkle of parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Preparation:
*Cook your chicken. I chose to stick mine in the slow cooker on high for 2 hours. I added nonfat chicken broth (covering chicken halfway) and a couple shakes of Montreal seasoning. You can read more about this method in the post How To: Cook Easy & Healthy Chicken.

*When chicken is cooked, pull apart and mix with 1/2 cup BBQ sauce.

*Roll out pizza dough. Oil a pan or place rounded dough on a pizza stone (as I used).

*Add 1/2 cup BBQ sauce on top of dough. Then sprinkle about 1 cup shredded - or fresh! - mozzarella cheese.

*Spread pulled chicken evenly across. Add onion and carrot. Sprinkle a little extra parmesan cheese on top.

*Bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees (or according to your pizza dough). When pizza comes out, sprinkle the basil leaves on top. Serve hot! :)
Onion and carrot ready!

Layer 1: Sauce

Layer 2: Cheese

What the chicken looked like after being mixed with BBQ sauce.

Layer 3: BBQ chicken

Layer 4: Onion, carrots and sprinkle of parmesan cheese

Fresh out of the oven

Close up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...