Sunday, May 15, 2011

Southwestern Sloppy Joes



I saw this recipe while jumping from cooking blog to cooking blog. I found it on "For the Love of Cooking" which has some great recipes. As soon as I saw this I thought it was something easy I could make, but also seemed interestingly yummy. I was right. This not only made the house smell delicious, but it was so filling and tasted amazing. I made a few modifications, as I usually do, and lightened this already light dish up a bit. Serve with the corn spoon bread and you'll have a wonderful meal!

*Note, the ingredient list looks long, but it's a super simple meal, I promise! 

Ingredients:
*2 tsp olive oil
*1 lb lean ground turkey (I used 93/7)
*1/2 small red onion, diced
*1 tsp chili powder
*1 tsp paprika
*1 tsp oregano
*1 tsp cumin
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1 tsp coriander (should be in your spice rack!)
*1 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp ground black pepper
*2 large cloves of garlic, minced
*1 large tomato, diced
*1/3 cup of ketchup, more if needed
*1-2 tsp brown sugar
*3/4 cup frozen sweet yellow corn, thawed
*hamburger buns
*avocado slices

Preparation:
*Heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Add the red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.

*Add the lean ground turkey and the chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients so the spices are evenly coating the beef and onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the beef is cooked through. (Be sure to break up meat so it crumbles and browns evenly).

*Add the minced garlic and diced tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.

*Add the ketchup, brown sugar and sweet yellow corn. Cook for 2 minutes. Taste and re-season if needed.

*Scoop the filling onto a toasted hamburger bun and top with avocado slices. Serve immediately. I recommend serving with Corn Spoon Bread - yum!!

A look at the sloppy joe meat!

Get ready for some yummy food!

2 comments:

  1. I saw these and have been wanting to make them!!! I will def be now since I know they turned out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were awesome!!! And sooo yummy drizzled on top of that corn spoon bread!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...