Thursday, January 12, 2012

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake


I absolutely adore zucchini and squash.  It doesn't even need to be fancied up. I can cook it on a skillet for a few minutes and eat it as my meal. Well, I picked up both zucchini and yellow squash, and I thought I might as well look for some fun new casserole to try with them.

I stumbled upon Kalyn's Kitchen, a blog I had not heard of, and found several great zucchini recipes. This recipe, and another I plan to make this week as well. Looks like I may be returning for more inspiration soon!

Anyhoo...this was so tasty!! John and I gobbled it up and we both had seconds. It was an excellent side to Poppyseed Chicken, and the best part was they could both cook in the oven at the same time. Love it!

I will definitely be making this again. In fact, probably this week, because I have some more zucchini and squash sitting in my fridge and I can't let them go to waste. :)

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Recipe by Kalyn's Kitchen
Serves 4-6 as a side, depending on portions
Pin It
Ingredients:
*2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
*2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
*2-4 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
*1/2 tsp. dried thyme
*3/4 tsp. garlic powder
*1/2 cup + 1/2 cup white cheese (I used white cheddar and Fontina)
*1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
*salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

*Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.

*Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese (1/2 cup Parmesan and 1/2 cup white cheese) and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed.  Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

*Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.

*When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated white cheese.

*Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked.  Serve hot.

all the ingredients ready to go

in the pan

cheesy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...