Saturday, January 7, 2012

Eggplant Lasagna


So I kind of did something...something that I do from time to time while cooking...Completely misread and/or accidentally omit something important from a recipe. Last time, it was with Stovetop Lasagna, which, wasn't even supposed to be stovetop lasagna. It was supposed to be lasagna soup. However, I may or may not have misread the amount of chicken broth to use, and, errr, umm...yeah...I ended up with something completely different, yet totally delicious.

This is one of those times. Those happy accidents, where, even if you completely did not follow the recipe properly, you end up coming up with something even better (or just as good, as the very least). While I'm still a little resentful that John helped me by taking pictures as I was slicing eggplant - only to tell me they were too thin after I finished slicing it all - I'm glad this recipe ended up being so tasty! While I still want to figure out a lighter way to cook the eggplant, I know this will be made again. :)

Click for more lasagna recipes on Call Me Mrs. Rapp: White Chicken Lasagna, Meat and Cheese Lasagna, Stovetop Lasagna, Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna

I adapted this from that wonderful cookbook John's mom got me: The Illustrated Kitchen Bible. However, as I mentioned above, this recipe as a happy accident and you will not find it in its entirety in the book. Below is my recipe. 

Eggplant Lasagna
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp; Adapted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible
Yields 1 lasagna 
Pin It
Ingredients:
*2 large eggplants, cut length-wise into slices (aim for 12-14 slices total)
*1/2 cup whole wheat flour
*3 large eggs, beaten
*2 tbsp. olive oil (or more as desired/needed)
*2 2/3 cups tomato sauce (store-bought or click here for my simple tomato sauce recipe)
*8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and sliced and divided in thirds
*1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
*1/3 cup basil leaves, chopped
*salt and pepper

Preparation:
*Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. 

*Create a dipping station for flour and eggs: put flour on plate and eggs in a bowl, seasoned with salt and pepper.

*One at a time, dredge each eggplant slice through flour, then egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl (or, like me, use your fingers to slosh off the extra).

*Heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, fry the eggplant for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Drain well on paper towels. (*With each batch, add 1/2 tbsp. olive oil to skillet before eggplant - - I needed 4 batches.)

*Once eggplant is done, layer the following in a casserole or lasagna dish: 2/3 cup tomato sauce, 4 eggplant slices, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and basil. Repeat 2 times, for a total of 3 layers. After the third layer, add 2/3 cup sauce, plus remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

*Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

my thinly-sliced eggplant

please note the huge mess around me as I cut the eggplant...when I cook it is not pretty

all the eggplant slices

dredging through whole wheat flour

golden and slightly crisped on the outside

Ready for the oven!

out and ready for serving...yum!

close-up of John's big serving

and now mine! great with a side salad with simple vinaigrette

view from the side

one more shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...