Saturday, January 7, 2012

Simple Tomato Sauce


You put the lime in the coconut and mix it all up...

No? You don't want to hear that song? The one where I don't even know the title or singer and am too lazy to bother Googling it, even though I sit at my computer right now?

Hmm...that's a shame...Because that's all I've got at the moment.

Well, to make this short and sweet, this recipe is super, super simple, yet super, super delicious! Use it for pasta dishes - over noodles, in lasagna, or in Eggplant Lasagna! Whatever route you take, this will be tasty and easy. What more could you ask for? Besides no extra preservatives and knowing everything that is going into what you are eating...Oh. Just that. :)

I made a double batch of this sauce and so that is the recipe I am posting. I used half of this for Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna and I froze the other half for later use. Feel free to half this recipe to meet your own needs. Or, freeze some for a lazy rainy day. :)

Simple Tomato Sauce
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Yields about 5-6 cups of tomato sauce  
Pin It
Ingredients:
*2, 28-oz. cans of diced or crushed tomatoes (diced will give you a chunkier sauce)
*4 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
*1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (if making for children I would omit this)
*1 tsp. salt
*1/2 tsp. pepper
*1 tsp. oregano
*8-10 good-sized basil leaves, chopped or torn (or more!)
*1-2 tbsp. brown sugar
*2/3 cup red wine (I used cheap reasonably-priced Cabernet)
*1 tsp. olive oil

Preparation:
*Place olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in a saucepan. Allow them to cook until you hear the garlic sizzle and pop.

*Add tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, brown sugar and red wine to the saucepan. Bring contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring as needed.

*Simmer until you are ready to serve or use in another dish. (Note: The longer you simmer the more the flavors will have time to develop). Adjust seasoning as you would like.

garlic and red pepper first

sizzle!

plus tomatoes

basil! mmm :)

fuzzy...but plus basil, seasonings, wine, and the like!

sauce not used in eggplant lasagna was bottled and frozen...thanks to Newman's Own for the bottle! (the ONLY pre-made pasta sauce I will eat, and even that's been over a year ago)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...