Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How To: Cook Easy & Healthy Chicken


When I first started cooking I opted for casseroles. It always seemed so much easier to throw all the ingredients together and let them do the work. The only problem? They all called for cooked chicken. I tried so many different ways - frying it on a skillet (which involved oil), baking it in the oven (which required me to wait for awhile and then put the casserole in the oven after that)...

Then, a student's parent last year gave me some inspiration. She is very healthy - runs marathons, cooks extremely nutritious - and delicious! - meals. She had this phenomenal Chicken Fajita recipe, and even suggested a really lean way of cooking the chicken. She put her chicken in a casserole dish, added some sodium-free chicken broth and cooked the chicken overnight in the oven on very low heat.

It got me to thinking, and I was inspired to develop a similar way that didn't involve the oven. The result? Perfectly cooked and extremely moist and juicy chicken! This is my go-to method for cooking chicken for things like pizza toppings, casserole dishes, pulled BBQ chicken, fajitas, enchiladas...the list goes on because it is perfect every time, and so, so easy!

How To: Cook Easy & Healthy Chicken
Method by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Pin It
What you'll need:
*chicken breasts (I've used 2-5 at a time)
*fat free, sodium free chicken or vegetable broth (I suggest chicken broth unless cooking something with vegetables, in which case the vegetable broth gives it an awesome flavor)
*a slow-cooker or crock pot
*salt and pepper, to taste

How you do it:
*Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

*Pour broth over chicken, until it is about half-way covered.

*Set your slow cooker on low, and cook for 6.5-7 hours, depending on how many breasts you have and how big they are.

*Pull the chicken out of the slow cooker with tongs. Leave any remaining broth in the cooker. Cut, shred, pull chicken when it's done!

Chicken in slow cooker

plus broth

Completed chicken!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...