Monday, June 27, 2011

Fish Tacos



I love taco night. However, ever since I taught John how to make homemade queso, he cares less about taco night because he gets his favorite part out of it - cheesy queso. I've made previous posts about queso, guacamole and ground turkey tacos. But this one is about even healthier tacos - fish tacos!

Now, I'm not always one for the healthiest of choices. In fact, before tonight, I'd never even eaten fish tacos. Probably bad for someone praising them, but sometimes you just need to have it be your own version before you can try it. No? Eh, either way, they were bloody delicious. (We watched Robin Hood tonight and apparently now I want to type in a British accent. Is that so wrong?)

Anyhoo...I basically started with my recipe for blackened tilapia and avocado aioli. Now I know there are many ways to season fish, but we just loved the tilapia so much I decided to repeat it. I figured it was a great way to cook the fish, but also to season it for tacos. I wanted to make it healthy, but still tasty.

It.Was.Soooo good. John "mmm'd" so many times and told me almost a dozen times that I had to make these again. Score!

I decided some skim mozzarella cheese, corn, tomatoes, lettuce and avocado ailoi would do the trick for toppings. Feel free to do whatever sounds tasty to you! Let me know how you seasoned yours. :)

Ingredients:
*tilapia filets
*whole wheat tortillas

Tilapia Seasoning:
*1/2 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp minced onion
*1/2 tsp ground cumin
*1 tsp chili powder (or more if you like it spicier!)
*1 tbsp panko whole wheat bread crumbs (optional, just makes it crispier)
*salt and pepper
*olive oil

Avocado Ailoli:
*about 1/2 of 1/4 cup light miracle whip (or other light mayo)
*about 1/2 of 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
*3 garlic cloves, chopped
*juice of one lime
*1 ripe avocado, peeled with seed removed

Fillings:

*grape tomatoes, sliced
*skim mozzarella cheese (or your preference)
*frozen (or fresh) sweet corn, thawed
*lettuce, sliced
*avocado ailoli

Preparation:

Tiliapia:
*Combine bread crumbs, garlic powder, minced onion, ground cumin, chili powder and ½ tsp salt in a small bowl. Liberally sprinkle some of the mixture on both sides of each filet and set aside.

*Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add some olive oil to the pan. When the pan and oil is hot, add the filets and cook for 3 minutes per side or until just opaque in the center.

*Transfer filets to plates and let settle for a few minutes. Use a fork to pull apart the fish so it is good for taco stuffing. Garnish tacos with corn, tomato, cheese, avocado ailoi and whatever else you may desire. Enjoy!

Avocado Aioli:
*Puree the mayonnaise, nonfat greek yogurt, garlic, lime juice and avocado until smooth using a food processor or blender. (Note, if you need to make your sauce creamier add a little low sodium chicken broth to the mixture.) Transfer sauce to a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pulling apart the tilapia

Look at those toppings! Seasoned tilapia, avocado aioli, corn, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. YUM!

I think I need to go grab one more taco...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...