Thursday, October 6, 2011

French Onion Soup


So recently I've been on a Pinterest binge. I decided I need to take more advantage of the wonderful cookbooks I was given for our wedding. As such, the past few posts have been from the great cookbook The Newlyweds' Cookbook. This is another recipe from that cookbook!

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of French onion soup. I've always found it to be too salty or just blah. So, when the hubby was feeling sick and said French onion soup sounded good, I was happy to help him but a little...eh.

Turns out? I started feeling more "eh" than he did, and I was so glad I had this soup to eat while I was getting back to my best self! Since I used non-sodium beef stock I was able to add enough salt for me preference. Not only that, I used sweet onions instead of regular onions.

And. This. Was. Good! We ate it for every meal! I'd like to think it's not just because we were both feeling a little under the weather. This was the best French onion soup I've had. And John too, according to him! He told me not to be offended or stop believing him when he told me I made "the best" of something because it happens so often. (Awww! Extra hubby points!)

PS: I made a few modifications to the recipe (as usual!). My version is below.

Ingredients:
*3 tbsp unsalted butter
*1 tbsp evoo
*4-5 sweet onions, thinly sliced
*2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
*1 tbsp all-purpose flour
*1 quart beef stock
*2 3/4 cups dry white wine
*1 bay leaf
*2 sprigs thyme
*1 baguette, or other white bread, sliced
*Gruyere cheese, freshly grated
*salt and pepper

Preparation:
*Put the butter and oil in a large saucepan (I used a stockpot) and melt over medium heat. Ad the onions and cook over low heat until soft, 15-30 minutes (recipe called for 15-20, mine took about 25-30).

*Add the garlic and four and cook, stirring for about 1 minute.

*Add the broth, wine, bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then lower the heat and simmer very gently for 20 minutes.

*Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. At this point, the soup will be cooked, but standing time will improve the flavor - at least 30 minutes.

*Before serving, preheat the broiler (500 degrees for me). Put the baguette slices on a baking sheet and top with shredded Gruyere cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and bread is toasted.

*To serve, reheat the soup (if cooled), then ladle it into bowls. Top with toasted baguette and cheese slices. Serve immediately.



Softening onions

Bad picture of the soup right after everything mixed!

Just the soup

Yummm!

Bread, cheese and brothy soup!

Best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...