Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Eggs Florentine



Since I had the whole week off I thought I would be crazy not to make breakfast at least once this week. This dish was inspired by the eggs florentine from the cookbook Easy Breakfast & Brunch, which was, not surprisingly, another wedding gift!

To be honest, I was totally craving eggs Benedict, bur I didn't have any Canadian bacon, nor did I have the desire to go to the grocery store. Besides, the spinach makes this dish a little healthier, especially when you consider how delicious yet how unhealthy hollandaise sauce is.
If you wanted a much lighter meal, simply don't add the hollandaise sauce. It will still be a light dish that you can enjoy for breakfast or brunch.

We loved these! I made one for each of us, and after wolfing his down, John turned to me and gave me this sheepish look. I asked him, "Do you want one more?" and he goes, "Well I wouldn't say no..." and gives me another sheepish look. So I made two more. But they were good. Oh, so good.

Ingredients:
*2 eggs
*1 tablespoon vinegar, preferrably distilled (all I had was apple cider vinegar)
*1 tablespoon butter
*1-2 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves
*a pinch of ground nutmeg
*2 English muffins (I used crumpets, thank you Trader Joe's!)
*salt and pepper
*hollandaise sauce

Preparation:
*To poach the eggs, bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the vinegar and reduce to a gentle simmer. Swirl the water well with a fork  and crack the eggs into the water.

*Cook for three minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.

*Prepare your hollandaise sauce.

*Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the spinach. Cook for about three minutes, stirring occasionally, until the spinach begins to wilt. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper.

*Remove spinach from heat and cover to cook warm.

*Toast the muffins whole and spread with butter.

*Spoon some spinach onto each muffin (taking care to drain off any excess liquid). Set an egg on top, spoon over the hollandaise sauce, sprinkle with a little more pepper and serve immediately.

Thank you, Trader Joe's! I feel like I belong in England.

Very similar to English Muffins (ahh, the "English" in it...)

Time to saute the spinach!

Not a very pretty picture,  but what my egg looked like. The vinegar keeps the egg from falling apart.

Wish I had a colored plate to take the picture on, but alas this will do.

Ta-da! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...