Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sirloin Steak with Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce


When I was at Marsh buying meat, not only did I find a whole 6-pound chicken on sale for $6, I found a 1-pound top sirloin steak on sale for less than $5! I was stoked and had to buy it...even though I've never cooked steak in my life. Nor have I ever bought it for that matter.

Anyway, I spent a loooong time on Google trying to figure out how long to cook my steak. There are so many variables. Nothing like the ease of cooking chicken or fish or pork. So, I went on my first venture of making steak, and even though John swears it was good and that he loves it, I think I could have done better. I know all the websites say to undercook meat because you can always throw it back on. I thought I undercooked mine, yet it was still more well-done than I prefer. Alas, I've given you what I did and what I would do differently.

Thank goodness for this sauce! It totally added flavor and made up for my well-done steaks (I prefer medium). I was inspired by the sauce from Scallops Charleston, and just used red wine. I also thickened it a bit, but if you like runnier sauces then just don't add the butter and flour combo.

Sirloin Steak with Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp, inspired by Paula Dean's Scallops Charleston
Serves 2  
Pin It
Ingredients:
*1 pound, top sirloin steak
*Montreal steak seasoning (or just salt and pepper)
*Vegetable oil
*8-10 cremini mushrooms, cut in sixths (or more or less depending on your preference)
*3/4 cup red wine (I used a cheap cabernet sauvingon, thanks TJ's!)
*1 shallot, chopped finely
*1 tablespoon butter (optional; see below)
*1 tablespoon flour (optional; see below)
*beef stock (optional; see below)

Preparation:
*Take steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature (at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours).

*Once steak is at room temperature, preheat grill pan on high. Liberally sprinkle Montreal steak seasoning on both sides of the steak. Brush both sides with oil.

*Once pan is hot, place steak on grill pan. Cook for 4-6 minutes on one side (depending on thickness), and 3-5 minutes on the other side (depending on how well-done you'd like it -- mine was pretty thin, about 1/2 inch, and was overcooked when it was cooked for 6 minutes and 4 minutes. I suggest taking it off early and cutting through to test how much it's been cooked).

*Let rest for about 5 minutes before cutting or slicing. 

*Place shallots, mushrooms and red wine in a skillet. Let cook for 3-5 minutes.

*(If sauce is too thin, whisk butter and flour in a small saucepan until golden - about 1 minute. Add to shallots, mushrooms and red wine mixture. If that becomes too thick, thin with beef stock.)

*Pour sauce over steak and serve with your choice of sides. I served mine with baked potato and grilled asparagus.

All the fixings for the entire meal

Steak seasoned

grilling away - all the windows were open or else the smoke detectors definitely would have gone off!

Finished steak

Time to start the sauce

Finished sauce

Served over steak

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...