Monday, February 6, 2012

Black Bean, Sweet Corn & Red Pepper Salsa


Have you heard the great news yet? IU basketball beat Purdue Saturday night and the Patriots lost the Super Bowl! Now, to be honest, I don't care so much about the latter, except that as a die-hard Colts fan, John loathes the Patriots. (Sorry, Katie!) I would have had one cranky hubby on my hands if the Patriots won in Indy.

Anyhoo, one of my best friends, Ally, hosted a fabulous little get together with some of our girlfriends for the IU game, including our friend Amanda, who was a great sport being that she's a UK fan. Ally was making lots of appetizers to serve, and I offered to bring. Then I realized I didn't have too much in my fridge...

However, thanks to a few staples I always have in the kitchen (including black beans, frozen sweet corn, tomatoes and garlic), I was able to whip up this salsa, which was a nice compliment to the other tasty dishes Ally prepared for us. It came together in a flash, and I didn't really get any pictures of me making it because it is that easy.

All the girls seemed to really enjoy this, and Lindsey commented on how fresh it tasted. Love that! I think this is great as an appetizer, but is also super yummy for lunch, stuffed inside a nice whole wheat tortilla with grapes on the side. Mmmm :)

Black Bean, Sweet Corn & Red Pepper Salsa
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
Pin It
Ingredients:
*3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
*1/2 cup sweet corn (I used frozen that I thawed)
*1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
*10-15 grape or pearl tomatoes, quartered
*1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
*1/2 red onion, diced
*2 large cloves garlic, minced
*1/2 teaspoon cumin
*1/2 teaspoon chili powder
*couple pinches of crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it
*1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
*juice of 1 lime
*salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
*Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Make sure you mix it enough to evenly distribute the spices. Transfer to a serving dish (or keep it in your bowl!) and serve with tortilla chips.

ready to serve!

loving all the red! so bright!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...