Monday, February 13, 2012

My Life Mondays: It's a Date

Had to get the puppy in a couple...Handsome hubby!...and of course, kisses from the stinker!
Happy first post in the new "My Life Mondays" segments! Today's focus? Early Valentine's celebration! Don't worry, no need to eye roll. We had a wonderful weekend, but I don't think any of it was gag-worthy for those of you who hate Valentine's Day. ;)

We decided to celebrate V-Day early for a few reasons. One, I hate the pre-set, overly expensive menus that are forced on you. Just because it's Valentine's Day, doesn't mean I want to pay twice as much money and have only three dinner choices. Not cool.

Second, John's brother has a basketball game Tuesday, so we will be doing that anyway! On a side note, I have to note how the announcer screamed (he always yells, eek!) about the "very special Valentine's Day game!" Because everyone is just dying to spend their V-Day at a high school basketball game? (I'm not mocking you, JB - we love you! - but I'm slightly poking fun at the announcer's enthusiasm).

Back to what we actually did! We had a wonderful dinner at Harry and Izzy's downtown. Fortunately we had a gift card there - Christmas gift! - and knew this was a perfect time to use it. Harry and Izzy's is the sister restaurant to St. Elmo's, a very nice steakhouse around here. Mainly known for it's "famous" shrimp cocktail, which they serve at Harry and Izzy's - and we got!

ready to dig in!
This shrimp cocktail is crazy. In a good way! It is the spiciest thing I've ever eaten, but the spiciness never reaches your throat. It is crazy! Your sinuses will for sure be cleared, but your throat will not burn. It's madness.
John highlighting his cleared sinuses...plus I ate mine and survived - success!
 We also split a cheap nice bottle of red wine to go with our dinner...steaks! Not just that, filets. I got the petite filet and John got the regular, though he's gotten so used to my smaller portions he said he wished he'd gotten the petite. To make the amazing steaks even better? Blue cheese on top. YUM. How did I ever hate blue cheese? Childish... It was a wonderful dinner and a perfect splurge.

A lovely combination
Saturday was spent cheering on JB to a win at Conseco Banker's Life Fieldhouse, and then a wonderful late lunch with John's family at Weber Grill. They have an awesome chopped chicken salad, I must say.

Sunday we did something John would never do without me...saw The Vow! I had high hopes for this movie Friday, but by Sunday I was a little skeptical due to some "just okay" reviews. My thoughts? It was a good movie, but I was a little frustrated throughout it. I feel like there could have been...more. I felt it was a little shallow in exploring the main characters' relationship, as opposed to all the supporting characters' relationships and resolutions.

However, it did leave me with some questions and thoughts that would be fun to explore...If you woke up with no memory of the past couple years, what would surprise you most about your current life? 

I have four that would probably shock me most:

1). I'm married?! I kind of thought I would be the last of my friends to be married, and at least 28 or something. This guy must be something super awesome. (Oh, and super good looking, which I noticed without the memory loss thing).


2). I live in Indiana?! I believe I swore I would never do that after college. I also believe my plans were to live in Chicago, New York, or D.C. What happened? Oh, that wonderful husband again? Hmm...

3). I'm a teacher?! What happened to law school and/or public relations? Teach for America you say? What is that? I need to do some more investigating...


4). I cook...voluntarily...and I blog about it?! No, I don't do that. My family told me many times how bad I am at cooking. Wait, I've actually learned how to do it (and somewhat well) and I post recipes I've cooked online? Okay you are officially feeding me lies. Time to show me this so-called "blog."

My question for you: If you woke up with no memory of the past couple years, what would surprise you most about your current life?

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I got a chuckle out of your memory surprises. I must admit, I'm not sure I would have ever guesses those things for you either. But I couldn't be happier that things turned out the way they did! I'm so glad to have such a great friend and fellow teacher in Indy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ally. I love being here and close to such wonderful friends - and fellow teachers! - like you. Things have a way of working out the way they're meant to be. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...