Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baked Popcorn Shrimp w/ Chili-Lime Dipping Sauce


I saw this recipe on an episode of Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger where she made appetizers and party foods. The shrimp looked so crispy and it was such a healthy recipe that I had to at least try it out.

The verdict? It was pretty good! Honestly I think I was expecting something that would taste like normal crunchy fried popcorn shrimp, but since this is baked and with cornmeal, it definitely didn't taste that way. It was good, but I want you to have the right expectations before taking a bite. The sauce is a great addition and could definitely be used for other recipes.

One fun note? I tweeted Ellie a picture of this and she replied to me, "Great shot! Thx for sharing". I love when that happens!

Baked Popcorn Shrimp w/ Chili-Lime Dipping Sauce
Recipe by Ellie Krieger
Serves 4-8, depending on portions

Shrimp Ingredients:
*1/2 cup all-purpose flour
*1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (I used regular chili powder)
*1 teaspoon garlic powder
*3/4 teaspoon salt
*4 egg whites
*3/4 cup cornmeal (I suggest using finely ground)
*1/4 teaspoon black pepper
*1 pound medium rock shrimp (90 to 100 count), shelled and cleaned (I used larger, precooked shrimp from the freezer section)
*2 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
*Spray cooking oil

Chili-Lime Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
*1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
*2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used light)
*1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
*1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
*1 lime, zested

Preparation:
*Sauce: Combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, ancho chili powder and lime zest in a small bowl and mix well to incorporate. Set aside.  

*Place flour, chili powder, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a shallow bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate. Place egg whites in another shallow bowl and beat lightly. Place cornmeal, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a third bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate. 

*Toss the shrimp, a few at a time, in flour until well coated. Shake off excess flour, then dip in egg whites. Transfer to cornmeal mixture and toss to cover all sides. Reserve coated shrimp on a baking sheet or piece of parchment paper and repeat with remaining shrimp.

*Preheat broiler. Brush a large cookie sheet with the oil and heat the oiled sheet under broiler for 3 minutes. Remove from oven and quickly arrange shrimp in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray.

*Place shrimp under broiler and broil until crisp and browned, about 5 minutes.

*Serve shrimp with dipping sauce.

Ready for the oven

Serving time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...