Thursday, March 1, 2012

Templeton Taco Pie


This is another wonderful recipe from John's family! It's a dish that is served often at the lake, and one I've loved from the beginning. For one of my showers, hosted by three lovely friends of Leslie's, guests were given a recipe card and asked to submit a favorite recipe. All the recipes were collected and put into a beautiful recipe binder, complete with categories (nice!). This was in there, and I was so excited to make it on my own.

This is quite literally a taco pie, but it is one of the easiest recipes ever. I'm serious. If you know how to cook ground beef and chop two vegetables, you can make this. This was the perfect thing to whip up the other night when I got home late from running errands and hitting the gym. The prep time is fast - less than 15 minutes, even if you're a slow chopper like me.

I imagine kids would like it too (John loved it growing up - and still does!), as it's a fun way to eat tacos. They could even help with the sprinkling of chips, cheese and veggies. How fun! So get cooking and enjoy this awesome family recipe (thanks again, Templetons!).

Templeton Taco Pie
Recipe by Aunt Linda
Yields 1 taco pie; serves 3-4, depending on portions
Pin It
Ingredients:
*1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey!)
*1 package taco seasoning (I used Ortega)
*1 package reduced fat crescent rolls (one that has 8 rolls)
*1-2 tomatoes, chopped (I used 2 roma tomatoes; 1 regular tomato would be fine)
*1 green bell pepper, chopped
*1 cup shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese (original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups)
*1 cup sour cream (I used 1/3 cup nonfat sour cream and 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt)
*1 cup lightly crushed tortilla chips

Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

*Lightly grease an 8-inch pie plate. Pull apart crescent rolls (should be in triangles) and press into pie plate. Bake for 6 minutes, then remove from oven (but don't turn it off!).

*While crescent crust is baking, cook ground beef on a skillet, breaking meat apart into small pieces. Once cooked, drain on paper towels. Return to skillet and add taco seasoning (plus water - follow the package directions!).

*Layer the following in the cooked crescent crust: seasoned ground beef, sour cream (or sour cream/Greek yogurt combo), tomatoes, green pepper, cheese and tortilla chips.

*Bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes after removing from oven. Slice like a pie and enjoy!

Crust before and after baking
Layers for the pie
slices removed, leaving shots of my "apple pie" pie plate
Messy shot, but showing you all the good stuff :)

2 comments:

  1. My husband would LOVE this recipe. Thanks for posting. After reading your "about me", I had to laugh because I've been married about two years to a John :), I work at a Christian (Catholic) school, and I love food and fitness! Great minds think alike, right! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...