Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crispy Asparagus Spears


After making Teriyaki Salmon with Sriracha Cream Sauce once - and loving it! - I knew I had to make it again asap. I planned to make it with the equally delicious Teriyaki-Roasted Green Beans, but I didn't seal the bag properly and they were no longer good when it was time to cook. Boo.

However, that one accident turned into a new, fun and tasty side dish! Since my new-found love is roasting vegetables, I decided to roast some asparagus, but with a twist. I breaded it and then fake "fried" it by baking it in the oven! This isn't the first time I've made a baked "fried" dish (Crispy Baked "Fried" Chicken is a favorite around here!), and it certainly won't be the last.

These were great as a side, but they would be an awesome appetizer since people can snatch them up one at a time. And, according to my former etiquette teacher, you are allowed to eat asparagus with your hands and not seem rude. So there. I rest my case.

Crispy Asparagus Spears
Recipe by Call Me Mrs. Rapp
Serves 4 as a side dish or appetizer
Pin It
Ingredients:
*1 pound asparagus
*1 cup panko bread crumbs
*1 tablespoon soy sauce
*1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
*2 eggs, beaten
*recommended: your choice of dipping sauces (I suggest soy, teriyaki & sriracha cream)

Preparation:
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

*Pull off rough ends of asparagus. Combine eggs, teriyaki and soy sauce in a bowl or dish (I suggest using one that makes it easy to dip entire asparagus spear in it). Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl or on a plate.

*Dredge the asparagus spears through the egg/soy/teriyaki mixture and then roll in the bread crumbs. Place each breaded spear on a rack on top of a pan (or a pan if you don't have a rack).

*Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bread crumbs are golden and crisp. Serve immediately with Sriracha Cream Sauce, soy or teriyaki sauce. Yum!

Ready for the oven

Crunchy spears!

served with salmon and rice or dipping sauce...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...